For many people, hearing aid devices are just part of the hearing loss solution. At Krista Szalc, Audiology, PLLC, we offer aural rehabilitation services because we are here to help you on your journey back to better hearing and better quality of life. During aural rehabilitation counseling, we will focus on understanding your hearing loss, learning how to use your hearing aids optimally, exploring assistive devices that might help with certain listening activities (i.e. watching TV, talking on the phone, etc.), and improving your overall communication.
What is Aural Rehabilitation?
Aural rehabilitation also referred to as audiologic rehabilitation is a therapy service provided to both children and adults who have been diagnosed with hearing loss. Typically, aural rehabilitation takes place following hearing aid fitting and involves working with the hearing impaired individual providing the patient with strategies to better utilize his or her listening skills.
As part of our Aural Rehabilitation Services, our hearing care professional will help you with the following:
- We will help you and your family in fully understanding your specific type of hearing loss
- We will review and discuss available hearing aid options, how they work, and help you to understand which hearing aid will be best suited to your hearing needs
- In order to improve listening, we will discuss different strategies to help increase your communication effectiveness as well as adjust to your new hearing aids
- In addition to your hearing aids, we will discuss assistive listening devices that might help with your daily lifestyle including: TV listening devices, personal FM systems, conference microphones, telephone amplifiers, and more.
- We will go over several exercises that will help increase brain stimulation and improve your speech discrimination.
- We will discuss strategies with you as well as with your family and loved ones that will help improve communication in different listening environments
- We will discuss available hearing loss support groups and online resources which can be excellent forums for problem solving and mutual support
Interested to learn more about the Aural Rehabilitation Exercises?
For more information, please contact us at Krista Szalc, Audiology, PLLC to discuss your specific hearing loss concerns, and we will work with you to help you hear better and live better! We have multiple convenient locations throughout Western New York including Dansville & Hornell.